Monday, June 4, 2012

Mini update and 15 weeks

So, my best friend...well, it's been over a week now.  She's still in a coma.  On Saturday they reran all of her scans and they showed NO sign of improvement.  The neurologist (who is a total douche) told the family that they had two options, to take her off of everything and let her pass on her own, or taking her off the machines, putting in a tracheotomy and a feeding tube and move her into a nursing home.  Devastation.  He even said that he knew last Saturday when she arrived that there really was no hope of her getting any better.  Yeah, like I said...total douche.  The family is moving her to New York Presbyterian, Columbia University as soon as a bed opens for her, she has already been accepted.  NY called for some more tests to be done in the meantime.  I went up to see her last night, as I do every night, and as I made the same routine trip up there, I prayed, as I always do.  I walked into the hospital and walked toward security, as I always do.  The elevators opened and Rickey, her husband walks out and sees me, throws his arms up in the air and runs at me...picks me up and swings me around and just says "She's waking up!"cue tears.  She's fighting to open her eyes and she is moving her arms all around and up over her head even.  She's also moving her body from the waist as well.  A miracle.  The miracle we have all been praying for is happening.  Just the day before the doctor had her dead and buried, Melissa is showing off.  She's a fighter and she will make it.  Her heart rate was up really high last night, so they were trying to keep her calm and she's having more tests today.  One day at a time.  Just pray for more improvement each and every day, even if it's something little.  She will get there.  I will have my best friend back.

Ok, now that I am in a happy place, onto my pregnancy, because, oh yeah, I'm pregnant.  16 weeks tomorrow actually.  I missed the 15 week update, so here it is.











  • How far along?  15 weeks
  • How big is baby? 4 inches, 2.5oz, around the size of an orange now!
  • Total weight gain:  I see my OB tonight, I'm thinking I gained a bit.
  • Maternity clothes? I finally broke out some maternity pants and now I don't think that anything else (besides sweats) is as comfy!  I'm still able to wear regular pants and shorts with the button undone but as the days go on I'm looking more towards my maternity clothes!
  • Stretch marks? No new ones.  (I have a few on my boobs from the boys, but that's it)
  • Sleep: Sleeping well considering.  I've been a mess this past week with everything going on with my friend, so I'm pretty restless, but I am getting some sleep.
  • Best moment this week:  I can't think of one...this week has been rough for me.  Oh, well, we sent out our announcements, so sharing our news was bittersweet considering my best friend got to hear that I'm pregnant while laying in a hospital bed in a coma :(
  • Miss Anything? Wine.  I needed wine this week.  I made it out ok though considering.
  • Movement: it's getting stronger!
  • Food cravings:  turkey sandwiches.  With swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion and mustard on a roll or a plain bagel with a pickle.  Has to be just like that too.
  • Food aversions: coffee.
  • Gender: July 2nd can't get here soon enough, only 4 more weeks!
  • Labor Signs: Not for quite some time!
  • Symptoms: Pretty tired by mid-day but half the time I forget I'm even pregnant.
  • Belly Button in or out? in, but I noticed two nights ago that it's changing...
  • Wedding rings on or off? On :) they have a little room to play, hoping the swelling stays under control!
  • Looking forward to:  my best friend getting better.  Miracles happen.  And July 2nd, I want to start shopping and planning.
  • Milestones/what's going on inside:  Baby's busy moving amniotic fluid through its nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in the lungs begin to develop. The legs are growing longer than her arms now, and baby can move all of her joints and limbs. Although the eyelids are still fused shut, they can sense light. There's not much for baby to taste at this point, but taste buds are forming. Finally, if I were to have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl!  Maybe my OB will send me for one earlier than the 2nd...I can't wait another 4 weeks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Danielle, that's such wonderful news. I'm so glad that her family fought for her and that she's fighting back against that doucher neurologist.