Monday, November 9, 2009

One week old :)

Carter Nico is one week old. He's perfect, absolutely perfect. I couldn't ask for a better baby. He's taken to breastfeeding like a champ! I was so afraid after hearing horror stories about the pain, the cracked bleeding nipples, the engorgement...etc. I had one little blister pop up after the first day in the hospital from him not latching on right, but it was gone before we got discharged. Sure, the boobs blew up like hot hair balloons for a few days after I got home, but they are pretty much normal-ish now. They still are a little swollen, but hey, they are filled with milk ;) He eats on demand, but for the most part it's about every 3 hours. He went to the doctors last Tuesday at 5 days old for his first check up outside the hospital. He gained about 5oz since he left the hospital at 7lbs 11oz, so he's now up to 8lbs even, my little meatball :) He also got a Hep B shot...I was not anticipating any shots at this point, so I was a little sad, but he took it like such a big boy! He sleeps all.day.long. The end of this week he started to stay awake a little longer past feedings, which has been wonderful to be able to interact with him a little more. He wakes up about 4 times at night, but does fall right back asleep after eating and a diaper change. He just likes to sleep with someone and wakes up the second you try and put him down. This was really bad at first especially with all the visitors wanting to hold him all the time, and since he sleeps most of the time, he is pretty used to always being in someones arms. We're trying to change this, and it's getting a little better now at the end of the week. He's in the 50% for height and weight and the doctor thinks he's right on track! She did mention that Carter is a little jaundice still and a bit more yellow than she likes to see, so we're keeping an eye on that and he goes back to the pedi on Tuesday for another weight check and to see how his skin is looking. I am so in love.
On a mommy note, I feel wonderful. Definitely tired, but so in love that it's all worth it! I have 11 more pounds to lose, which is not so bad considering I just had him a week ago and gained a total of upwards around 36 pounds throughout my pregnancy! I'm starting to feel pretty sexy again...too bad we still can't have sex yet ;) It's been SO LONG!!!

Here's Carter and me at his 5 day old appointment (notice the drugged, I haven't slept in days look):

Daddy and his little man after his sponge bath:
Carter after his bath...and VERY tired:



And here's Mommy's belly, 1 week PP and 11 pounds to go! (I know I always liked to look at these):

6 comments:

Alison said...

He's adorable and you look wonderful!

Shannon said...

Adorable and WOW, jealous of your belly (or lack of)!

Heather Cara said...

He is PERFECT and you look amazing already!!

Mrs.F said...

You look awesome! And Carter is so sweet!!

Rachel H. said...

You look SO good 1 week post! I'm so jealous, and I hope that I can look like that afterwards!!

Candace said...

You look fab! I hope I look that great 1 week PP!!!